Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Father Will Hold Me

By Sarah Baker

I recently re-read the experience that Joseph Smith had when he was a little boy with his poorly leg. Just to recap; the doctors had originally said that young Joseph's leg would need to be amputated, but at the insistance of his mother they decided to try a new operation, to remove a piece of bone from his leg. They had come with some cord and had planned to tie Joseph to the bed because they had no anesthetic, nothing to dull the pain, when they cut into his leg to remove the piece of bone.

Young Joseph however responded, "I will not be bound, for I can bear the operation much better if I have my liberty".

The doctors then said, "Will you take some wine?... You must take something, or you can never endure the severe operation".

Again the boy prophet said, "No,.... but I will tell you what I will do - I will have my father sit on the bed and hold me in is arms, and then I will do whatever is necessary to have the bone taken out."



His experience reminded me of this life. Satan's plan was for us to lose our liberty. Unfortunately, as a result we sometimes use this liberty in a way which causes us harm, and life itself can throw trials and afflictions our way. The way to overcome our trials and pain, is to do as Joseph did... allow our Father in Heaven to go through the trial with us, to sit on the bed with us. I know that He will hold us in His arms during these dark periods in our lives, and if we let Him in, we will have the strength to do whatever is necessary.

I hope you feel that you are 'encircled about eternally in the arms of his love' (2 Ne 1:15) today.


Image 1, Artist, Liz Lemon Swindle
Image 2, Artist, Derek Hegsted

3 comments:

  1. Very Nice Sarah! The comfort of the Saviors arms encircling us in times of need, is so empowering. Satan would have us bound to his enticings which takes away our Free Agency. And then he would lead us carefully down to Hell. Very thought provoking message! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. D&C 6:20 is another good reference when the Lord is talking to Oliver. I love the word 'encircle.' It gives me such a feeling of protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story of the Prophet. This was a lovely post and filled with hope and faith. Thanks, for sharing this one.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete